Thursday, February 24, 2011

Dave's Redistricting - A Bust?

For the last week, I've been trying to get a web-based program, Dave's Redistricting 2.1, to work for California. I was interested to try my hand at redistricting at least the southern part of our state, where many jurisdictions appear to be gerrymandered.

Well, so far it's been a bust - I can't get the program to show any new congressional districts, or even get district-level population counts right. The implementation is very clunky as compared to other web-based programs, and it is desperately slow. I'm running an iMac with 4G RAM, plenty of disk space, and OS 10.6.6. Yes, I've read the manual.

Upshot: Bust. I can't afford to spend any more time trying to get it to function properly. If anyone has suggestions, please leave them in the comments.

2 comments: